Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Forehand Throw

The Forehand throw or the sidearm throw is a common alternative to throwing a shot backhanded.  I am going to be teaching you today how I throw my sidearm shot. The first key to getting this shot down is learning how to snap or roll your wrist when you release in order to put more spin on the disc.  When throwing sidearm, spin is going to keep the disc flatter and straighter.  Both of these are crucial as it is slightly harder, in my opinion, to throw this shot. A good exercise to get used to snap your wrist is to practice a sidearm throwing motion (even if it is more of a baseball throw than a disc throw) and then stopping your arm when your forearm is lined up with the side of your body. Then rotate your wrist forward as if you could only throw using your hand. Keep these two motion separate at first and then gradually speed up these motions and then blend them together.  The finger position I use when I hold the disc is to tuck two fingers straight along the inner rim of the disc (pointer and middle). Then I place my thumb on the top of the disc at a near perpendicular angle to my pointer and middle fingers. If your disc is transparent or translucent you can see through the disc that the formation your fingers are in resemble making a gun with your three fingers.  I find that using two fingers puts an optimal amount of spin on the disc while maintaining good grip and work-ability out of the hand.  To put the whole throwing motion together I begin with my knees slightly bent facing the basket.  I keep my right and left hands on the disc with the right hand gripping the disc to throw.  I step forward with my left foot, turn my left shoulder towards the basket while bringing my elbow back on the right arm bringing the disc along the side of my head.  I step then with the right foot bringing the disc down to my side almost level with my elbow.  Then I step with my left and bring the disc forward while stepping and releasing as my foot is landing and the disc is passing my side.Depending on the stability of the disc, your release will be flat or on a slight turn or fade line.  Every arm slot my not feel the same for everyone so it is encouraged to experiment with your throwing routine.  The main factor is getting enough spin on the disc to keep in straighter and give it more distance. More overstable discs are recommended for throwing sidearm until enough finesse is learned to throw understables.  Understables have a much higher tendency to turn while throwing sidearm. Understables will require a fade line (having your fingers higher than the other end of the disc upon release) while overstables will require a turn line (having your fingers lower than the other end of the disc upon release).

No comments:

Post a Comment